There is increasing awareness about probiotic supplements and the many wonders they do for gut health. A healthy balance of gut microorganisms contributes greatly to overall health and therefore cannot be overemphasized. Now, with the availability of probiotics on the market, more and more adults can reap the benefits of a digestive system working at full capacity.
But where do these great supplements fit in the grand scheme of all things health-related for babies? Are these products safe and beneficial for your young ones? This article will serve as your detailed guide to probiotics for infants; keep reading to have all the information you need to know!
WHAT ARE PROBIOTICS, AND WHY WOULD BABIES NEED THEM?
The human gut consists of billions of bacteria, some of them good, others not so much. Good bacteria – particularly Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium - aid digestion and synthesis of vitamins, boost the immune system, and so much more. These good bacteria are called probiotics, and they are naturally available in food such as sauerkraut and yogurt. However, for reasons ranging from dietary preference to ease of access, getting a healthy balance of gut bacteria from eating these foods may not be an effective approach. That's where Progurt and our amazing probiotic supplements come in! You can now get all the probiotics at your convenience you need from our array of products, and your babies should have access to the goodness too.
This is because babies are born with sterile to little microorganisms in their gut. Their gut microbiome is instead shaped during these early weeks and months. Starting off life with the right balance of bacteria bodes well for immediate and long-term health. Babies are first exposed to bacteria during the birth process and subsequently through the food they eat. This may be enough to build a healthy gut, but the developing balance can just as easily be thrown off. Infant illnesses and antibiotics used to treat them can easily tilt the balance in favor of unhealthy bacteria. Thus, rather than leaving the fate of your child's digestive system to chance, it is advisable to be intentional about helping them obtain and restore the population of bacteria they need. And the simplest way to do this, is to introduce probiotics into their diets.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PROBIOTICS TO BABIES?
A healthy gut comes with considerable advantages for babies during infancy and later on in life. Using probiotics can stimulate the growth of the right bacteria in your baby’s bowel and get them on the right track to a healthy digestive system. Listed below are some of the ways in which probiotics can help improve your infant’s overall health:
- OPTIMIZED DIGESTION: This is perhaps the most famous function of probiotics, and it holds true for babies too. By increasing their concentration of Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Saccharomyces species, they can get the best nutrients in the breast milk and other foods they consume.
- SUPPORT FOR IMMATURE IMMUNE SYSTEM: Because babies have a relatively weak immune system, they are more susceptible to infections and illnesses. The digestive and the immune systems are closely linked, with a malfunction in one invariably affecting the other. Therefore, the use of probiotics is a simple way to provide your baby with the boost in the immune function they need to stay free of diseases.
- LOWERED RISK OF ALLERGIES: Growing evidence from scientific research strongly suggests that probiotics play a major role in reducing the risk of developing allergic diseases, especially allergic rhinitis (hay fever). You can give your babies a better chance of protection against allergic conditions by starting them on probiotics early.
- REDUCTION IN SYMPTOMS OF BABY COLIC: Having an otherwise healthy baby cry for hours, days and weeks nonstop can be distressing for parents to cope with. Thankfully, there is a scientifically proven method to alleviate those symptoms, and that's with probiotics. Issues with the digestive system mostly cause baby colic, so probiotics are an effective treatment for this condition.
- TREATMENT FOR DIARRHEAL DISEASES: Probiotics are an efficient way to treat diarrhea in babies, and sufficient research data support that. Whether the diarrhea is a side effect of using an antibiotic drug or an episode of acute gastroenteritis caused by bad bacteria, probiotics can help stop the episodes of continuous stooling in babies.
- CONTROL OF ACID REFLUX SYMPTOMS: Infants are more prone to acid reflux because of their relatively weaker anatomy. Although acid reflux tends to resolve as they age, it can still be distressing to see your child regurgitating food repeatedly. Probiotics have been shown to control the symptoms very well, so it’s another great reason to include these supplements in your baby’s regimen.
- IMPROVED BOWEL MOVEMENT: Constipation is another common digestive symptom that can be seen in babies. There are various reasons why this can occur, but with probiotics stimulating adequate bowel movement, the chances of constipation developing are lowered.
ARE PROBIOTICS SAFE FOR BABIES?
For most parents, this is the biggest question, and rightfully so. You can be rest assured that the answer is a resounding yes! Clinical trials have established that probiotic supplements are very safe for healthy infants to use. However, babies with the following underlying health conditions should not use probiotics without the go-ahead from a pediatrician:
- Premature infants
- Very low birthweight babies
- Congenital heart diseases
- Children with cancer
- Babies with immunodeficiency disorders
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF PROBIOTICS IN BABIES?
It is unlikely that your baby will develop side effects from taking probiotics. Even when side effects occur, they are often mild and will disappear within a few days. Some of the common side effects include:
In the rare event that any of these side effects persistently occur, it is advisable to stop using the supplements and see your pediatrician immediately.
In conclusion, probiotics are beneficial and safe for your little ones. As more research is conducted, it's possible that even more benefits of probiotic supplements to babies will be revealed. Progurt remains your trusty manufacturer and distributor of all things probiotic supplements. We have an array of great products that will suit babies and others alike. Please browse through our amazing catalog of products and contact us to get supplements for yourself and the whole family.